click to enlarge
Grosse Point Lighthouse
Built in 1873, the Grosse Point lighthouse was built after several ships ran aground on their approach to the growing Chicago ports. Orlando Metcalf Poe, a civil war hero and lighthouse engineer, managed the design and construction of the lighthouse.
One of only five ever installed on the Great Lakes, the illuminating optic at the top of the tower is a second order Fresnel lens, the largest type of optic used on the Great Lakes. Light from the lighthouse could be seen up to 21 miles over the lake as it warned ships of the shallow waters around Grosse Point.
The lighthouse grounds are open to the public all year, but the light itself is only open for tours between June and September.