Still Shining Bright
The oldest continuously operating lighthouse on the Great Lakes, the Marblehead light has been featured on postage stamps and license plates.
Built on the rocky shore of Lake Erie, of brick and limestone quarried from the site, the lighthouse was built in 1821 in just 11 weeks, at a cost of $7200. It was the only light around Sandusky Bay for many years. The original light came from 13 whale oil lamps and reflectors!