Warning!

click to enlarge
Don't Molest the Alligators!
Sign along Trail

I remember this sign from a while back, the first time I visited Anderson Park in Tarpon Springs, Florida. It's at the beginning of the trail that leads along the shore of Salmon Bay, part of Lake Tarpon. This trail winds around the heavily wooded shore of the lake, but has several man made peninsulas that are used for picnic tables. The area is raised about 12 inches off of the surface of the water using railroad ties, so I guess the alligators can't climb it, or don't want to. We kept an eye out for any gators that were hiding around the trail and the entrance to the picnic areas. We were able to spot a few alligators that were quite close - about 3 feet from shore - but they were only about 4 or 5 feet long.

click to enlarge
gator
Just Hanging Around the Shore

I wouldn't be concerned with the alligators if I didn't have the kids with me. I'm too big to be considered a food source, but they might think differently about the kids.

No comments: