Mysterious Shell

click to enlarge
Large Shell
Shell Found in Lake Michigan

Here's something that has me puzzled. While walking along the cold, gray beach on the first day of November, I noticed something partially burried in the sand and under about a foot of water. It appeared to be a shell, but I wasn't sure. I decided to try and dig it out, but had to remove my boots and camera gear and get into the cold water. Just then, my wife simply walked into the water (shoes and all) and dug it out - she doesn't mind sitting in wet shoes and clothes all day. It was a very large shell that I figured couldn't possibly have come from Lake Michigan. I don't think there are any such creatures in the Great Lakes, but I'll have to do a little research to find out.

I wonder if it's a shell someone bought in the tropics and either dropped on the beach or perhaps it was a decoration that got washed away from someone's beach property. Maybe it's an ancient shell from a time long ago that was buried in the sand dunes for thousands of years. Either way, it's a pretty cool find.

1 comment:

Brokecompsoul said...

It's a find from Lake Chicago :)